Kiah Lodge

Berridale, NSW

About the property

Kiah Lodge, a rural complex in the Snowy Mountains dating from the 1850s, comprising a 400 square metre stone homestead, 1880s schoolhouse, machinery sheds and farm outbuildings, has been restored under the supervision of the company’s master of architectural conservation.


A long, pioneering history

Berridale was a European settlement was founded in the 1860s by Scotsman William Oliver. Pioneers Robert and Ellen Evans who settled in the Berridale district in the early 1860's, named their property "Kiah Lodge". The town nicknamed itself the 'Crossroads of the Snowy' during the period when gold miners would pass through on their way to the Adaminaby and Kiandra goldfields. In the 1990s, Berridale was also nicknamed the 'Town of the Poplars' due to the main road being lined by an avenue of poplars. Today, it has a population of just under 900 residents.


At a glance

size: 400 sqm